This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 in Salina
, Kansas , USA .. It was taken from the original document on file at the Smokey Valley Genealogical Society and Library in
Salina , and reprinted by the Salina Journal.
Grade Final Exam
Salina , KANSAS
(Time, one hour)
1. Give nine rules for the use of capital letters
2. Name the parts of speech and define those
that have no modifications.
3. Define verse, stanza and paragraph
4. What are the principal parts of a verb? Give principal
parts of 'lie,’ play,' and 'run'
5. Define case; illustrate each case.
6 What is punctuation? Give rules for principal
marks of punctuation.
7 - 10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical
use of the rules of grammar.
(Time,1 hour 15 minutes)
1. Name and define the Fundamental
Rules of Arithmetic.
2. A wagon box is 2 ft. Deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. Wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
If a load of wheat weighs 3,942 lbs., what is it worth at 50cts/bushel, deducting 1,050 lbs. For tare?
4. District No 33
has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for
5. Find the cost of 6,720 lbs. Coal at $6.00 per ton.
6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and
18 days at 7 percent.
7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft.. Long at $20 per meter?
8. Find bank
discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance
of which is 640 rods?
10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt
U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)
1 Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided
2. Give an account of the
discovery of America by Columbus
3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
4. Show the territorial
growth of the United States
5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas
6. Describe three of the most prominent battles
of the Rebellion.
7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton , Bell , Lincoln , Penn, and Howe?
8. Name events
connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, 1865.
Orthography (Time, one hour)
1. What is meant by the following: alphabet, phonetic, orthography,
2.. What are elementary sounds? How classified?
3. What are the following, and give examples
of each: trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, lingual’s
4. Give four substitutes for caret 'u.'
Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e.' Name two exceptions under each rule.
6. Give two uses of silent letters
in spelling. Illustrate each.
7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: bi, dismiss, pre, semi,
post, non, inter, mono, sup.
8. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates
the sound: card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
9. Use the following correctly in sentences: cite,
site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane , vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate
pronunciation by use of diacritical marks
And by syllabication.
Geography (Time, one hour)
What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas ?
Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
4. Describe the mountains of North America
5. Name and describe the
following: Monrovia , Odessa , Denver , Manitoba , Hecla , Yukon , St. Helena, Juan Fernandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco
Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S. Name all the republics of Europe and give the capital of each.
Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
9. Describe the process by which the water
of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give the inclination of the earth.